FAR Project - Administrative Hierarchy in the RDC
- City (Urban)
- Common or Embedded Grouping
- Territory (rural)
- Sector or Headquarters
- The province is governed by a Governor.
- The commune is led by a Mayor.
- The territory is managed by a Territorial Administrator.
- The city is headed by a mayor.
- The District is headed by a District Commissioner.
- The city of Kinshasa has the status of a province, is not divided into districts, and has no territory. The rural part of Kinshasa corresponds to the municipality of Maluku and partially Nsele.
- Some provinces, such as Maniema, North Kivu and South Kivu, do not have a district.
- Some territories do not depend on a district, but on a city. Moanda, for example, depends on Boma.
- Kolwezi would also be subject to the urban-rural district of Kolwezi.
Decentralized administrative entities
The decentralized administrative entities are the following:
- The town for the city of Kinshasa
To see a good summary of the history of decentralization as well as the possible opportunities for a decentralized land management in the RDC, click here.